A Spanish woman died after undergoing a live bee acupuncture procedure called apitherapy, during which she had an allergic reaction, USA Today reports.
The 55-year-old woman had used Apitherapy which is an alternative type of bees and / or substances produced by them, which is ready to treat muscle tightness and stress twice a month.
Apitherapy is a kind of alternative medicine that makes use of honey bee products, like bee wax, pollen, honey, and in this case, live bees. Here, bee venom is used to “cure” patients. A practitioner places a live bee on the patient, and squeezes the bee’s head until the needle emerges then inserts the needle into the body.
The ambulance arrived after around 30 minutes, upon which the emergency medical personnel administered a double dose of adrenaline, corticosteroids, a saline infusion, and antihistamines.
The heart rate of the patient stabilized on the way to the hospital.
The woman died of multiple organ failures after several weeks. As per the journal report, she faced a huge watershed stroke and a permanent coma because of perpetual hypotension stemming from her serious anaphylactic episode.
According to the report, this is reportedly the first death that occurred due to bee venom apitherapy following anaphylaxis. As per the report of the year 2015, a 65-year-old lady lost her life after getting bee venom therapy from an unlicensed apitherapist in South Korea.
Had the ambulance arrived more quickly and had the apitherapist administered adrenaline immediately after her symptoms got noticed then things for the woman could have been different.
The doctors stated that the live bee venom treatments are not advisable as they are unsafe.
In accordance with the American Apitherapy Society Inc., the bee products advocate healing by improving circulation, stimulating a healthy immune response, and decreasing inflammation.
As per the claims of the organization the treatment is effective for wounds, pain, gout, infections, tendonitis, burns, and multiple sclerosis.
Treatments involving bee venom have been in the gossip for some years now. Celebrities like Kate Middleton and Gwyneth Paltrow reportedly acclaimed the benefits of the allergen.
In a report recently published in the Journal of Investigational Allergology and Clinical Immunology.